RE: Migrating 9i to 10g performance issues

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Joerg.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:55:15 -0400

10g2 indeed supports transportable tablespaces across platforms with
different endian word order. However, the transport is *not* in place and
the tablespaces must be converted on either the source side or the
destination side. (That's all in the manual.)

That has implications for the time and space required for the transport,
especially as compared to the "in place" transportation possible between
platforms of the same endian word order, the latter being pretty much
magically quick compared to about anything else for a shutdown, move it all
protocol. If you can fit that within a window that does not hurt the
business it is also probably the most reliable and least costly protocol. If
you do the conversion on the target side you can minimize the cost and
overhead on the current production server to facilitate dress rehearsals.

If you have a long calendar time to execute the move as long as you are not
down for long for the cut-over, there are various ways to get the data over
to the target with an as-of date and then apply changes to logically roll
the data on the target forward to the point where you shut down the "old"
server for good. One of these methods would be the alternative if you cannot
fit a "shutdown, move it all protocol" into the allowed time.

You might also want to consider avoiding tempting fate by adding in a full
backup on the target to the time required. No one will be having fun if your
new machine has a hiccup requiring a recovery before you get a target side
backup and have already performed interactively sourced transactions on the
target that are not logically logged for replay. The backup time can be
phased in the "as-of date copy, then catch up protocols" but is sequential
to the end of the "shutdown, move it all protocol."

Regards,

mwf