RE: Migrating 3TB size database from HP to AIX, also 9i to 10g.

  • From: "John Hallas" <john.hallas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LS Cheng" <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>, <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:58:58 +0100

Unquestionable one needs to test any mechanism that will be used for a
large scale migration, especially if under tight time constraints.

I do not doubt that expdp/impdb may perform worse than exp/imp under
certain circumstances but I think it should be the first port of call if
considering that method of data migration.

On a large project a couple of years ago we used Shareplex to
trickle-feed changes in to the new system. One outage to export the
original data (8i, Tru64) using multiple parallel exports. Restart
source database with Shareplex capturing changes.

Build the new empty database (10g, Sun) and import at our leisure (circa
36 hours).

Multiple schema compares and then apply the captured Shareplex changes.

On the night it was "just" a matter of stopping the source database,
letting all the captured changes trickle-feed into the target database
and then making all the DNS/ONS changes to allow connectivity to the new
database.

It took about 3 months of effort and a couple of attempts but the above
solution did work.

John

________________________________

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Hallas

Once you get to 10g on HP you can use datapump which is much faster

attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do
not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions,
conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to
the official business of this company shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.

BJSS Limited, 1st Floor Coronet House, Queen Street, Leeds LS1 2TW.
Registered in England with company number 2777575.
http://www.bjss.co.uk