Re: Microsoft Windows, will rule in the next 8 years in the market

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davewendelken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:56:06 +0000

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:59:02 -0800 (PST), david wendelken
<davewendelken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Many businessmen and IT staff don't care.

Businessmen: some do, some don't.  If they're smart, they will
have hired smart folks and listen to them.

IT staffers:  That's another story.  Much of the IT chaff was blown
away by the ill economic winds of 2001-2002.  Mostly folks that
thought IT was the road to riches and cared only about the paycheck.

Many of the folks that didn't care one way or the other are gone,
and good riddance to them.  Those that are left don't roll over
quite so easily.

> I think you overestimate the average IT shop.

See previous comment.  Massive layoffs in IT have seen many of
the marginal folks go away.  My opinion FWIW is that IT shops
are better now than they were 4 years ago,

> And MS Windows won the battle against Apple because it was better?  easier to
> use? had a lower overall cost of ownership?

MS is where it is today due to three letters:  IBM.  MS did nothing
special and had nothing special.  They hitched their wagon to a star
and went along for the ride.

Oh, I guess you said that.  :)

> >I firmly believe we'll see the end of Windoze in the data center in that
> >time.
>
> I don't believe you are right.  Would be nice if you were, but I wouldn't
> count on it.

I don't think so either.  But, *nix is not dead, nor dying.

--
Jared Still