RE: Microsoft Windows, will rule in the next 8 years in the marke t

  • From: William B Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 07:43:46 -0700

It doesn't really matter to me which way (OS) the world goes. I'm just a
peon and use what I'm told to use, but I do have to agree with this =
post.
I'm (kind of) lucky in that I do everything, DBA, development, SA, LAN
Admin, computer support, etc., so I actually have the power to get =
things
setup correctly. Luckily I have a small office here, only 13 users, but
pretty much follow the same steps as below when I get new machines in. I
re-install all the software (not just Windows) from scratch. I rarely =
have
a problem with any machine, and those problems are generally hardware
related.

My primary desktop usually has a dozen or more windows open at once, and
the machine is left on all the time (so I can remember where I was and
what I was doing the next day). I might HAVE to reboot the machine 3 =
times
a year, depending on how often I use something that's done in java
(yuck!).

My servers (which are now Win2003, used to be HP-UX) only need to be
rebooted when there's a software upgrade, Oracle or OS. This makes no
difference between HP-UX or Win2003, the number of rare reboots is about
the same.

If people are having problems with their machine (regardless of OS), =
after
getting a good backup of all the data files, get the machine setup up
RIGHT, instead of trusting that somebody else did it right.=20

Remember Murphy, he'll get 'ya!

Bill Ferguson
U.S. Geological Survey - Minerals Information Team
PO Box 25046, MS-750
Denver, Colorado 80225
Voice (303)236-8747 ext. 321 Fax (303)236-4208

~ Think on a grand scale, start to implement on a small scale ~