Re: Methods to Create Smaller Test DB from Production?

  • From: Mark Richard <mrichard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:35:09 +1100

Let me support Mladen on this 110%.

I use Princeton Softech's "Move for Servers" product and it does exactly
what you are after.  Let me elaborate on our scenario for you...

Our production instance of over 1TB, from there we use backup tapes to
restore a volume testing environment once every so often (this acts as a
recovery test of sorts as well).  From here we use Move for Servers to
create many small test and development databases (about 20 of them
currently active).  We have no Referential Integrity defined within our
database (not my preference) so I had to manually teach the tool about each
relationship.  Then I select the tables that I want extracted and define
limits.  For example, I have one extract to get all referential data
(perhaps 50 tables), one extract to get data based on customers (about 80
tables) and several other adhoc extracts to meet specific requirements
(such as testing a specific defect).  Once the initial definitions are
created then maintenance is a breeze.

To build a new database I create the structure from DDL (Move for Servers
can do this but isn't flexible enough for my preference), then load a
Reference extract and then load a 500 Customer extract.  To extract all
data for 500 customers (from perhaps 500,000 - 1,000,000 customers) from
our system takes about 3-4 hours and then to load this into a new
environment takes about 15 minutes.  I keep the extracts once created so
that I can load into multiple destinations quickly.

I could talk for hours about Move for Servers - there is a wealth of
functionality in there once you start to understand the tool and their
support and pricing are wonderful.  So ignore those people suggesting you
roll-your-own unless you are a sucker for punishment.  Did I also mention
that Move for Servers can move data between different RDBMS's - so moving
data from Oracle to SQL Server (for example) is possible?  That may or may
not be a feature of importance to you.  If you have any further questions
let me know.  I can also put you into contact with people from Princeton
Softech if you wish.

Regards,
      Mark.

                      Mladen Gogala

                      <mgogala@adelphia.        To:
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      net>                      cc:

                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: Methods to Create
Smaller Test DB from Production?
                      oracle-l-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      02/03/2004 06:59

                      Please respond to

                      oracle-l

It does exist. Take a look at Princeton Softech,

             http://www.princetonsoftech.com

Very good tool, very good company. Alternatively, there is
a UK company called DataBee, which does the same thing. I don't have
much experience with them, but thweir DBA Tool to extract DDL from
an export file is excellent. You can look at them at

             http://www.databee.com

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
message to anyone.
In such a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply e-mail or by telephone on (03) 9612-6999 or (61) 3 9612-6999.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet
e-mail for messages of this kind.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate
to the official business of Transurban Infrastructure Developments Limited and
CityLink Melbourne Limited shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
them.