RE: Methods for testing RMAN backups?

  • From: "Hostetter, Jay M" <JHostetter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:14:35 -0400

Chris,

  Let me first say that I am sure there are other ways of doing this,
but this is a procedure that we setup when we first went to RMAN and it
has been working well for us.
  We have a test box seperate from production that is running the same
OS and version of Oracle (AIX running 9.2.0.5).  We use RMAN to backup
to disk, then the disk backups are pulled to tape.  When I am moving a
database to the test box, I copy the disk backups over to the test
server (via rcp).  I create symbolic links on the test server so that it
appears as though the same backup file systems are on our test box as we
have on the production box (e.g. ln -s /backup1 /backupdev1).  I capture
the encrypted passwords of the users in the test database, then I shut
it down and delete the files associated with the database.  I then
startup nomount the database and use rman to restore on the test box
(ORACLE_SID is set to test database):

rman target uname/pwd@proddb <mailto:uname/pwd@proddb>  catalog
uname/pwd@prodcatalog <mailto:uname/pwd@prodcatalog>  auxiliary /

  I then run a script similar to the one below.  Since I include my
archivelog backups, I can recover my test database to any point in time.
After the database has been restored, I take it out of archivelog mode,
set the users passwords back, open up the schemas that contain objects,
change database links, change the global name (alter database rename
global_name to TESTDB.WORLD), depending on the app I may run some
scripts to scramble some sensitive data.

Jay

# PRODDB to DEVDB
run {
#set until time '20050518070000';
set until scn 4230895133;
allocate auxiliary channel ch1 type disk;
allocate auxiliary channel ch2 type disk;
set newname for datafile 1 to '/t202/oradata/DEVDB/system01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 2 to '/t203/oradata/DEVDB/undotbs01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 3 to '/t202/oradata/DEVDB/tools01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 4 to '/t202/oradata/DEVDB/users01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 5 to '/t207/oradata/DEVDB/app_data_a01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 6 to '/t207/oradata/DEVDB/app_data_b01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 7 to '/t207/oradata/DEVDB/app_data_c01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 8 to '/t207/oradata/DEVDB/app_index_a01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 9 to '/t207/oradata/DEVDB/app_index_b01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 10 to '/t207/oradata/DEVDB/app_index_c01.dbf';
duplicate target database to DEVDB
logfile
group 1
('/t201/oradata/DEVDB/redo1a.log','/t202/oradata/DEVDB/redo1b.log') size
50m,
group 2
('/t201/oradata/DEVDB/redo2a.log','/t202/oradata/DEVDB/redo2b.log') size
50m,
group 3
('/t201/oradata/DEVDB/redo3a.log','/t202/oradata/DEVDB/redo3b.log') size
50m,
group 4
('/t201/oradata/DEVDB/redo4a.log','/t202/oradata/DEVDB/redo4b.log') size
50m;
}