Re: Metalink forums - effects of the outsourcing

Fortunately I haven't had to use Oracle support in about 6 years.
That's one of the great things about this list

But I did have a problem those 6 years ago and my boss wanted me to
get Oracle involved.  I told him what would happen

1 - I call Oracle and eventually talk to an "analyst" who will pick
out one to two buzz words from my description of the problem.

2 - The analyst will feed those buzz words into a search engine of
Oracle white papers and it will kick out about 10.

3 - The analyst will mail those white papers to me with some sort of
"Hope this helps" comment.

4 - The white papers will have absolutely nothing to do with my problem.

-------------------------End of the First Week

5 - I call back and state that the papers didn't help.

6 - I am transferred to a 2nd level person who can actually understand
what I'm saying.

7 - This person will point me at several sources which actually do
have to do with my problem --- but I've already read them and they
don't solve it.

8 - I call back and am told that someone will get back to me.

9 - Eventually someone from the development team or lab gets back to me.

EITHER

10a - They know exactly what the problem is and can give me the fix right then

OR

10b - They say something like "That's interesting ... " and call me
back 2 weeks later with the exact fix.

TOTAL TIME - 2 to 4 weeks.

It played out exactly as I'd told my boss it would.  I was fortunate
in that the guy from the lab had just finished dealing with the exact
problem that I had and it took all of 15 minutes to implement his fix
which worked perfectly.

If you can get to that 3rd person (and you can afford to wait all that
time) you get a good solution (without fail in my experience).
However, getting to that last person requires patience, perserverence
and the ability to not slam down the phone in disgust when lesser
beings just can't seem to understand what you problem is, what you've
already done, and what you'd like them to do.