Re: Metalink Fiasco

  • From: Rodd Holman <rodd.holman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:03:58 -0600

Actually Microsoft did that to me. I upgraded my hard drive and my Win XP system wouldn't register with MS anymore. It told me I had 30 days to buy a license to or my ability to login would be disabled. I had to call MS tech support and fight with them that I had the same motherboard, processor, memory, etc. to get them to re-enable my product key that was on the sticker on the side of my box. Ever since them I've been VERY wary of the call home systems that software vendors create to "HELP" us get better service.

Niall Litchfield wrote:
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Rodd Holman <rodd.holman@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:rodd.holman@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I agree.  I'm just not ready to have all my databases "calling
    home to papa Larry" yet.  The service metrics are interesting, but
    it leaves me wondering just what all they are collecting in the
    call home job.  Is this going to be like Microsoft where they
    disable your system if they can't immediately match everything?

I think it unlikely that they'll do that. However Microsoft most certainly do *not* do that.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA