Metadata tool for Oracle

  • From: "Yechiel Adar" <adar76@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:22:32 +0200

We are starting to look for metadata tool for Oracle.
I am thinking that the tool need to satisfy the following requirements:
The text in () is my reason for the requirement.

1) Web based, or at least LAN based.
  (so I will not have to upgrade work stations with new versions)
2) Allow the developers to alter definitions in the repository WITHOUT
making changes in the Oracle database.
  ( I want to be able to review their changes before changing the test
environment).
3) Allow the administrator to view these changes and change/delete them.
  ( Override the developer changes if necessary)
4) Create and optionally run scripts to implement the changes in the Oracle
test database, with possible fallback.
  ( Implement the changes with minimum administrator work)
5) Allow to gather several iterations of steps 2 & 3 into one version.
6) Create and optionally run scripts to move the new version into production
with backup and fallback options.
  ( Just to be of the very safe side)
7) Be able to read the database and create base for changes.
  ( No need to reinput all the metadata for existing applications)

Now for my questions:

1) Do you think these requirements are enough or have I missed something
important?
2) Do you know a tool that do this?

TIA

Yechiel Adar