Re: Merge

  • From: Toon Koppelaars <toon.koppelaars@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richard.Goulet" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 15:23:24 +0200

The DELETE clause for the MERGE statement cannot help you here?

Are the views too complex to turn them into materialized views that can be
fast-refreshed every 15 minutes?

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Goulet, Richard

>  All,
>         Not often that I ask for assistance from the list, but I'm a bit
> baffled by this one.
>         We have a number of reporting tables that get populated every 15
> minutes from an equal number of views.  The developers are saying that to
> run the reports off of the views is too long for customer acceptance.  The
> current process is to delete all rows form the tables, no not truncate, that
> would be too easy.  And then populate the tables with a select * from the
> view in question.  I'm looking at the merge command to replace this and the
> tons of redo that it produces and has to be shipped to a standby on a very
> small straw.  To put is mildly the db is 74GB is size & produces 150GB of
> redo a day.  Now I'd simply shutoff the redo for that tablespace, but they
> claim that the standby HAS to be able to come up on a moments notice & be
> fully available.  Yeah, this is a pile of Duhvelopers.
>         Now Merge as I see it handles 90% of what we need, but my problem
> is that if a row is not matched because it no longer exists in the source
> view, how do you delete it?
> *Dick Goulet***
> Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
> PAREXEL International
> 900 Chelmsford St, Suite 310
> Lowell, MA 01821
> 978.614.2857
> *Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx*
> **** <>**
> *The information transmitted in this communication is intended only for
> the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
> and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or
> other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
> persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
> received this in error, please destroy any copies, contact the sender and
> delete the material from any computer.*

Toon Koppelaars
RuleGen BV

(co)Author: "Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals"