RE: Measure database availability beyond 99.9%

  • From: "Barun, Vlado" <Vlado.Barun@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "GiantPanda@xxxxxxx" <GiantPanda@xxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:05:53 -0400

We have had the same experience with EM Grid Control.

Unfortunately we have not yet had the time to investigate other tools, but how
about this:
Build a heartbeat table and schedule a database job (i.e. dbms_scheduler) to
insert into that table every x seconds. (the value of x depends on the needed
precision).

Then you can build your own reports/alerts based on the data in that table.
We use this approach for checking the streams availability as recommended in
Note:418755.1 - 10.2.0.x.x Streams Recommendations

Regards,

Vlado Barun, M.Sc.
Senior Database Architect
Jewelry Television