Re: Maximum size for PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 07:35:13 -0800 (PST)

Hey Martin,
I may actually have a chance to test this today and the next couple days.  We
have some new code that was moved into production for our marts.  It ran very
well in test, but as luck would have it, we have some seriously large feeds
that have been pointed towards it in the last day that have caused it to make
some seriously incorrect choices for execution path when run in production.
I am seeing upwards of 70-90GB in sorts and even though the
PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET is set to 10G on our environments, I have been
experiencing totals in PGA usage that are larger than that total with
parallelism when viewing at the both the database and OS level.  I worked to
solve much of this last night, but I think I and the lead mart developer still
have a lot to track down on this and I can easily reproduce the situation, (I
actually had to patch the secondary mart server and PUT BACK commands to alter
the session and set up a manual workarea policy for hashing and sorting to stop
the problem...)
I'm back in the office today, so I'll let you know if I can trap some solid
info on it.  They are adding more memory to the mart servers today for me and I
have a secondary server that I'm able to hammer/test in.

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."