RE: Materialized Views

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Lee.Robertson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 14:18:49 -0600 (CST)

You need to know more about a feature before you can truly decide it's
required.

Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about your business problem, and how
you intend to solve it.

 I've seen shops where they've created materialized views on local
objects.  While it's allowed and there may be some valid reasons for it,
often there are not.  MVs are most often used to create distributed
versions of data.  The biggest gotcha that comes to mind is the
restrictions on query sub-selects as cited in the manuals (Which I notice
someone else sent a link for). The other most obvious problem is having a
foolproof monitoring system to detect MV build and refresh failures.

  _____