Re: Lost Writes

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx, charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 09:26:57 -0700 (PDT)

RMAN should detect a corrupt block during a backup and report it. Of course, if
the block is not in use then it would not be an issue.
Did you try a backup validate check logical database from RMAN?
Did you check v$backup_corruption or v$database_block_corruption to see if
anything was present in that view ?
The corrupt blocks you had, were they actually in use? Or allocated and not
assigned to any objects?
Did you try to repair the block?

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON!
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
(Sybex)
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now...
The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in
good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking
the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)
http://pages.sssnet.com/messndal/church/parachurch.pdf