Re: Lost Writes

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 20:17:31 -0600

Sadly, no.  A full export will really only assure you that your database
contains no *physically* corrupt blocks, i.e.,  blocks that are unreadable
or where the checksums don't match the data.

But in the case of a "lost write" it is entirely *possible* that each and
every block in your database will be completely "valid", with completely
legitimate checksums.  *Some* of them, though, might be a little bit older
than they should be.

Imagine taking two "snapshot" backups of your database, five seconds apart.
Restore the database from the later snapshot, and randomly then select 100
to 1000 blocks from the older snapshot and copy them the the same locations
in the datafiles restored from the new snapshot.  You now have a database
image that resembles what you *might* encounter following "lost writes".
Individually, each block is "valid", and has a legitimate checksum.  But
some of the blocks simply do not contain the data they *should*.contain.

The discrepancies could be detected while applying redo -- when rows that
should be there are not, I imagine -- or they might be detected when queries
report that ROWIDs contained in the index do not exist in the table.  They
might not get noticed until you find your queries return different
resultsets when they use different indexes (good luck with that).  They may
not get detected at all.

Happily, I have encountered this only once - when a firmware error caused a
disk array to crash, apparently with the loss of the "non-volatile" cache.
In this case, the only symptoms we ever saw were queries reporting that
rowids found in certain indexes were not present in the tables.  And *this*
was not noted until days after the failure of the disk array.

On 10g, an rman BACKUP VALIDATE DATABASE CHECK LOGICAL can detect some of
these errors (e.g., the case where indexes don't match the tables) but
probably won't detect others.  As I recall, the documentation for this says
(to paraphrase) :
*BACKUP VALIDATE CHECK LOGICAL will detect all types of corruption that are
possible to detect.*
Unfortunately, it does not detect any of the other ones.  It is still a
useful precaution, though, one that I used myself only last week following a
myterious failure of the NFS appliance hosting one of the 9i databases I
manage.  In this case, at least, RMAN gave me a clean bill of health.  I
might have been tempted to do a full database recovery anyway, but in the
absence of a clear problem and following 12 hours of downtime, I would never
have been given permission.

Anyway, this is what I recall on the subject.  Now I will sit back and wait
for some of the more knowledgeable people on this list to point out where I
have gone wrong.   :-)

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead
  Senior DBA,