Re: Looking for folks that have had a positive experience with OWB

  • From: Eric Buddelmeijer <ebuddelm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dackoc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:09:02 +0200

You mentioned it, 'non-technical folks'. OWB is a pure ETL tool that sits
closely to the database and PL/SQL. Which means it is a rather technical
tool. But that on the other hand, that is also one of its strongpoint, the
technical nature.

I know first hand of at least 4 mid-sized companies that use OWB, DWH's up
to 3 TB. It takes time to develop a DWH with OWB but it can be tweaked by
any good DBA.

One of the other strong points is the availability of a (hard to learn but
powerful) scripting language called OMBPlus. It means that if you have a
standard way of developing your mappings, you can generate your mappings.
Sometimes just from the source table definition up. Not that you can
generate everything, that is never the case with any tool, but the bulk of
the standard things can be automated.

Another thing is that OWB comes with a run time environment. That is one
thing developers never think about when designing their mappings.
Traceability. With OWB you get a logging in a repository (db) of every
mapping that has run, what it has done and what went wrong. Of course you
have to learn to find your way in such a repository, but you don't have to
develop a logging system yourself. And believe me, once you start running
mappings you will want to know what has happened. And you don't want to
develop that yourself, especially if it, most of the time, has to be added
after the actual mappings have been created.

Is it perfect? Of course not! Is it rubbish? Even less so.

Kind regards,
Eric.