RE: Long term AWR retention

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mwf@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:05:53 +0800

Coincendetally,  I put up a blog post over the weekend :
<http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com/2010/06/some-common-errors-6-not-collecting.html>http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com/2010/06/some-common-errors-6-not-collecting.html

Hemant

At 12:41 AM Monday, you wrote:
Lots of good insights and responses in this thread. But I have a question:

Why do so few people copy database metric data to a non-production machine? (And AWR is just a start.)

Shouldn't every DBA and/or DBA team have a DBA's data warehouse? Why use production cpu cycles to analyze anything but real time or near real time concerns?

Why wonder about year-over-year trends when you can know? Wouldn't improved ability to make a capacity plan based on actual data more than pay for any associated costs?

mwf

Hemant K Chitale

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com