Re: Long term AWR retention

  • From: Kerry Osborne <kerry.osborne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:22:08 -0500

I am not aware of any issues with long retention times either. I have worked
(am working) with several systems that have over a year retention with 1 hour
or half hour snapshot frequency. And I know if a guy that has plans to never
purge and AWR data (I think his retention period is 7 years). Anyway, I did a
blog post about reasons for having a very long retention period (one being
having a permanent record of parameter changes) here:
http://kerryosborne.oracle-guy.com/2009/12/tracking-parameter-changes/ There
was some pretty good discussion on the issue and Doug Burns followed up with a
post pointing out that there was a built in script for estimating sizing of AWR
data. I personally think long retention times should be implemented (45 days at
an absolute minimum 13 months more reasonable). The 7 day default is
frustratingly short.

Kerry Osborne
Enkitec
blog: kerryosborne.oracle-guy.com