RE: Long Parse Time

  • From: "Tanel Poder" <tanel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 00:12:31 +0300

> I know you're simplifying to make a point but doing strace
> cmd /c del test.txt | grep STATUS  when you can't delete a
> file would be showing a lack of knowledge I don't need a
> study of muzzle gun velocity to know that a bullet fired out
> of that gun will kill me.

I use sysinternals process monitor (which does file and registry IO tracing
on windows) for troubleshooting application specific issues. "Access denied"
is perhaps an obvious error (either the file is read only or someone has an
open handle on it) but sometimes you get that 3rd party application which
just says "unspecified error" and that's it, no log files nor additional
information. With having no built-in instrumentation you're partially
dependent on luck, but at least such tools like process monitor (or
truss/strace on unix) can sometimes give you a clue (if there's some file
missing or what's the last config file read just before the error is
reported etc).

> Reminds me of university and the old "knowledge vs wisdom"
> debate with one of my great science profs who was trying to
> drill into our heads that the scientific method <> knowledge
> & wisdom

Well I won't get into that debate, but using the above mentioned tools is
again a kind of profiling.

Profiling for performance means that you take a 10 hour response time
(containing many components) and you break it down to smaller pieces
(response time by individual components). This will give you direction where
to focus your effort next (and where to do further profiling & breakdown).

And troubleshooting other issues (like hangs, crashes, wrong data and
"unspecified errors") also involves a sort of profiling - breaking down a
complex problem into multiple simpler pieces.

--
Regards,
Tanel Poder