RE: Logical Standby

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Smith.Steven@xxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 10:28:23 -0700

Once you go to 10g you won't have to worry about this, but if you try it
on 9i, you'll want to take a look at Metalink note 260040.1.  To prevent
from hanging your production database when the network transfer of logs
gets backed up, you have to upgrade to 9.2.0.7 and set the hidden
parameter _LOG_ARCHIVE_CALLOUT='LOCAL_FIRST=TRUE', and make sure you
type in this parameter setting instead of copying and pasting it, which
could insert hidden control characters (e.g. ^M) that will prevent it
from working properly.

Regards,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Smith, Steven K -
MSHA

I'm researching data guard with physical and logical standby databases.

We currently are running standby database in 9.2 and are investigating
options that data guard will give us after upgrading to 10.2.

What is the performance hit? Assuming maximum performance mode. I don't
trust the network to the standby site to recommend Max Protection or Max
availability.