RE: Logical Standby

  • From: "Taft, David" <TaftD@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Smith.Steven@xxxxxxx'" <Smith.Steven@xxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 12:55:09 -0400

Steve,

We recently set up an Oracle 9.2.0.7 Logical Standby in our shop.  Just
yesterday, I was asking the DBA responsible for this system what issues he
has encountered.  The main problem is that any errors on the primary appear
to cause the apply SQL process on the logical to stop, i.e. a foreign-key
constraint error during an insert on the primary, fails on the logical and
then all further log mining stops.  At that point he must determine why it
stopped and if it is OK to just skip the SQL with the error and continue
applying SQL from that point forward.  He has had to put customized
monitoring in place to alert him whenever these errors happen.  Depending on
the number of such errors per day, it can time consuming.  The impression I
get is that the ability to automatically skip these kinds of errors is not
very robust in 9.2.  He indicated to me that he has read that 10gR2 is more
robust in this area.  Sorry, but this is all second hand knowledge on my
part.

In my own environments that I am responsible for, we only run physical
standbys.  One of those environments is open for read-only during business
hours and used for reporting purposes.  This takes a load off of the primary
by not having to handle ad-hoc reporting.  A simple cron job does the
switch-over from managed recovery mode to read-only and back. It is very low
maintenance.  The only problem I have is that access to the primary is
supposed to be limited to using the web application interface and ad-hoc
users need direct SQL*Plus access.  This means that in order to give a user
access to the standby for ad-hoc reporting, they must first be added to the
primary. That night their UserIDs get applied to the standby.  At that point
they are on their honor not to run ad-hocs against the primary.  Also, if
using password aging, the user must log into the primary to alter their
passwords.

Cheers,

David Taft