Re: Logical IO

  • From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ukja.dion@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 05:54:09 -0700

A few years ago, Kirti Deshpande and I did some research into tracing
Logical I/Os. The paper and presentation at are
http://www.optimaldba.com/papers/TracingLogicalIOs.zip

Dion Cho wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to trace it yourself with 10200 event and/or 10046 event?

- 10200 event would tell you which blocks are logically read.
- 10046 event would tell you which blocks are physicall read(when the buffer cache was clean).

The number of blocks being read would also be depedent on how the segment space is managed(auto vs. manual) , which would be easily verifed with 10046 and/or 10200 event.

Dion Cho - Oracle Performance Storyteller

http://dioncho.wordpress.com (english)
http://ukja.tistory.com (korean)
http://dioncho.blogspot.com (japanese)
http://ask.ex-em.com (q&a)