Re: Locking in Oracle, SQL Server, and DB2

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:37:46 -0500

Ryan,

You may want to tak a look at the following document:
http://research.microsoft.com/~adya/pubs/icde00.pdf

I think the ANSI SQL-92 standard has taken an approach that will presumably
work for a large variety of databases, defining standard isolation levels.
The idea being that SQL code could work across all databases. I believe
Oracle implements this standard in order to be considered SQL-92 compiant.
However, most of us on this list feel Oracle has an inherently better method
of handling locking, so ignore this feature.

Dennis Williams