Re: Locally Managed Tablespaces

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Nagarajan.Subbiah@xxxxxxxx, 'Oracle-L Freelists' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:44:21 -0500

Subbiah, Nagarajan wrote:

>Is the Uniform allocation has any advantageous than SYSTEM allocation type?
>Does the SYSTEM allocation type has any issues?
>
>Raja.

Tablespaces with uniform allocation cannot be fragmented, while system
allocation allows fragmentation.
A case like that was constructed by Jonathan or Gopal, I believe. System
allocation is allows only  discrete and
very finite extent sizes,  but can be brought into state where no
extents of larger sizes are left, which is what is known
as "fragmentation" (although, strictly speaking, it is not fragmentation).

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA