Re: Locally Managed Tablespaces

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:55:58 -0700

I too prefer uniform extent sizing, provided I have the freedom of
grouping tables into different tablespace based on table size, and
possibly other criteria, so that I do not end up with objects of vastly
different size in the same tablespace. Then you are face with the
dilemma of allocation a lot of empty space for small tables if you make
the extent size largish, or with very many extents for large tables if
you make the extent size smallish. As long as you are talking numbers of
extents which are humanly comprehendable that latter part is not an
inherent problem. Still, I like to keep the number of extents at a 3-4
digit maximum.
Autoallocate gets you around that "problem". Of course, once you get
into really large tables/indexes you ought to be looking at partitioning
which also helps alleviate the problem. However, that requires EE plus
extra $$ so may not be a solution for everyone.

--
Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation