Re: Load and Query question

  • From: David Aldridge <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shreeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 27 Apr 2006 11:05:02 -0700
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:04:22 -0600

"minus" still ought to work and perform OK if the query can read
indexes, even if functions are applied to the values ... have you
validated that indexes are being used instead of FTS? Do you know what
proportion of your total load time is taken up with the minus ops?

Shreeni wrote:
Sure....We have two instance of each table. One is trunc-reload daily and
the other a pseudo history table which is insert only. There is a huge push
to implement async-CDC shortly so that we load only deltas. Our team is not
in the loop as it is not seen as DBA related !!

Promise me you wont laugh at this. All the descriptive columns are NOT NULL.
So they default to a single space. These minus queries are written with trim
and NVL functions...so though we have proper indexes in place most of the
time the queries perform badly....The list goes on...

Thanks
Shreeni

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l