Re: Load and Query question

  • From: David Aldridge <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shreeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 27 Apr 2006 09:55:25 -0700
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:54:52 -0600

Can you give a high level overview of the entire process? Are you
replacing the entire table each time? It doesn't sound very orthodox at all.

Also, the minus operation isn't necessarily a problem if you can get an
efficient fast full index scan on the columns of interest in both
tables, but if you end up full-scanning multiple times then yes you have
a definite issue.

Shreeni wrote:
Nope...we do not have any MVs or summary tables. Though I would wish we had
some summary tables. The largest table I have is the daily journal Tx table
which has 230 columns of which 164 are descriptions, which are 99% the same.
The other-thing the design guys have thrown on us is after everyday's ETL is
complete, we have to do a row count between source and target which is fair
enough and then to do "minus" compare on all the 164 descriptive columns
between source and target which is unfair on the database don't u think ?

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l