Subject: Listner contorl with password
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:30:04 -0500
From: RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

While I’m digging through MySupport, I’ll toss
this out here.  I know I’m missing something simple

Using 10.2.0.5 on Windows 2008.  I created a test
database.  I then created a listener with a name other than listener,
using the Net Manager tool.  I set the password, and changed the default
listening port.

I installed the software and started the listener service
using the Local administrator.  Under this login, I can start/stop
listener using lsnrctl.  Works fine.

Security =  Password or Local OS authentication.

So, I log in  as a different user who has no Admin
privledges and is not in the ora-dba group.  I access lsnctl and try to do
listener functions. No dice. Get the error message about not authorized.
A good thing.

Then, I issue the set_password command and set password to
the listener password. I can successfully stop the listener.

However, I cannot restart it. No amount of effort can get it
to restart.  I get TNS-12560 and TNS-00530 errors about protocol.

So, the question is, what am I missing.  I understand
that if I turn the Local OS Authentication off, the password operations should
work. But, why is it that I can set the password and stop the listener, but now
can’t set the password and start the listener.

Thanks

Bob