Re: Listener is stopping !

Hmmm.... I don't have any issues with DCD on 9.2.0.6.

  I didn't hear if he was using /3G switch or not... picked up the thread a bit
late.

  Orastack really works nice to decrease the size of each connections.
  You need to test it out to see what size you want decrease it to.  In my case
the size was 625K from 1M but I set it to 700K just in case a change went it
that increased the size.
  You need to take down the whole database and listener, run the orastack.exe
(easy and docs are complete) takes about 15 minutes at most then you have to
bring up the database.  The key is testing the applications to make sure they
run with the decrease in size.  I believe you are not suppose to go below 512K.

  Also check out your SGA target size.  I had to decrease my SGA target and max
size when
  we went to new hardware with hyper threading.  The hyper threading changed
some parameters and the number of sessions I was able to use decreased!  Went
from using over 500 to just over 400.  when I set SGA lower I was able to get
more sessions again.

  Also look to see if you can decrease your large_pool.  I have to keep it at
350M for Veritas backups but it was set to over 700.  This bought me some
sessions as well.

  Going to Unix is actually the best but until then, these measures will help.
Been there, done that, feel your pain.

  I have to keep my system going like this for about one more year on Windows
32 bit.

  I am avoiding using the /PAE because I can't reboot my machine every month.
We are 24 X 7 and can afford very litte downtime.

  I have been very success using the above methods.

  If you can't use DCD you might want to use a kill script as mentioned for any
dead connections.  Make sure the connection is dead according to NT as well.
There was a script on Metalink for this... can't find it right now.

  Another idea is IF you have a standby database, see if you can point read
only users to do their report over there.  This will free up some connections.

  Make sure users are logging off of applications at night to free up resources.

  Check the application for connections that aren't being closed.  We found
acouple of programs that were creating Virtual tables and not cleaning them up.
 You might have open cursors that are not being closed etc.

  I also started rotating my listener.logs and alert logs more frequently.

  If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me directly.

  I went through many oracle, windows, service calls to help get me through
this.

  Kathy

Mario Broodbakker <mbroodbakker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Good point, DCD adds an extra thread per session/connection, it's a kind of
watchdog thread. Which indeed 'eats up' another stack, so if you run out of
workingset memory that's a bad idea. Will be fixed in the next patchsets (at
least in 10.2.0.3, don't know about 9i)

regards,
Mario