RE: Listener and extproc security

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jheinrichdba@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:15:23 -0500

Jason,

            As far as I know, and I have set up extproc's in 9i and have
them in 10g as well, you should set up a separate listener for extproc
with IPC only as the protocol in use.  In 9i setting it up as TCP was
"unsupported" and I really don't have any idea if it worked or not
mainly because I didn't try.  It was suppose to be a supported
capability in 10g, why I surely don't know.  But, if your going to use
extproc's make sure they don't run as the Oracle owner, but as nobody in
Unix/Linux or the windows equivalent if your on that platform.  The
reason is that you could allow an extproc to have all the rights to the
database executables and files as the Oracle owner which has it's own
bad consequences.  BTW: I did get extproc to work through the main
listener as well with no problems.  It's just a potential security issue
if you use it that way.

Dick Goulet / Capgemini
North America P&C / East Business Unit
Senior Oracle DBA / Hosting
Office: 508.573.1978 / Mobile: 508.742.5795 / www.capgemini.com
Fax: 508.229.2019 /  Email: richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
45 Bartlett St. / Marlborough, MA 01752

Together: the Collaborative Business Experience