From: goran bogdanovic <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Oracle L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:47:51 AM
Subject: Re: Linux NIC bonding

I have to correct myself...
I have recalled my memories for Linux bonding and 'active-backup' is possible
(I haven't used it myself)...when you set mode parameter when defining bonding
drivers here are the possibilities:

mode 0 = active-active (round-robin rule when transmitting packets)
mode 1 = active-passive
mode 2 = indicates either of them can be used

On Dec 12, 2007 10:28 AM, goran bogdanovic <
goran00@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Dan,

I am not sure if 'active-passive' bonding under Linux is possible but why would
you use 'active-passive' configuration? With 'active-active' you get
load-balancing plus failover capability.

>It's questionable how Oracle would view that from a support perspective (if
>they care at all).

As long as bonding driver does not taint the kernel, Oracle will support it.

cheers,
goran

On Dec 12, 2007 6:22 AM, Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm building a cluster using Oracle Clusterware and have configured redundant
pairs of NICs on the Linux servers using the Linux bonding module
(active-passive). I know how to configure the Linux end of things and that's
working fine. However, the switches used by this customer (they're Dell
branded--not sure who really makes the guts) have been getting "confused" by
bonding and our simple ping tests lose about 50% of the packets when we plug
the redundant pairs into the two separate (trunked) switches.

This is only peripherally related to Oracle--it's really a networking and
server config issue, but I'm hoping that someone with more networking
background than I have can explain what switch configuration will enable this
to work properly. The customer has stated that this will never work (though I
 have done it before at other sites and it worked fine). The customer has
stated that the Linux configuration must be two active NICs
 with a virtual IP and virtual MAC. I imagine that will work, but I'm not
familiar with that configuration and I don't think Linux has native support for
it, so it'd probably be a Broadcom or Intel software package. It's questionable
how Oracle would view that from a support perspective (if they care at all).

So, the question: Is there some "magical" switch setting that would possibly be
missing in a fairly "default" configuration that might enable this to work
properly? I figure it's a long shot asking a networking question on the Oracle
list, but thanks for any pointers.

Dan