RE: Limitations of MSSQL Server Vs. Oracle OR simply otherwise limitations in general - OT

  • From: "Leslie Tierstein" <leslie.tierstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:53:49 -0800

 We have several fairly large data warehouses that run on SQLServer. The
performance is quite acceptable (provided the database is installed on a
good enough SAN). SQLServer is still missing some nice features of
Oracle (for example, no partitions -- need to use partition views, and
read performance seems to degrade greatly in proportion with the number
of partitions).  Oracle's pricing, based on both cpu's + number of
users, really discriminates against DW shops, which need
powerful/multiple CPUs, but, for DSS's, may not have very many users.

Leslie
Leslie Tierstein
Senior Consultant
Vision Chain, Inc.
The first software to power the demand data network
phone: 202-261-3549