Re: Limitations of MSSQL Server Vs. Oracle OR simply otherwise li mitations in general - OT

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BoivinP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:30:27 +0000

There was an article discussed recently on comp.databases.oracle.server
which can be used for a decent management presentation, for the PHB and =20
friends.
The article in question is full of gross factual inaccuracies, the most =20
flagrant being the statement on page 12 that PCTINCREASE cannot be
defined for rollback segments, so rollback segments cannot grow. The =20
fact that despite not knowing a squat about oracle, the authors =20
concluded that oracle looks much better then SQL server only shows
how bad SQL server really is. I made some comments on =20
comp.databases.oracle.server, Howard Rogers vivisected the article in =20
detail and the general conclusion is that the article is bad, but SQL =20
server is worse. I cannot fathom why do people expect the company that
has created such a peace of s....oftware as Windows to create a good
database software?
After the usual dose of rant about MicroS*t, the article is well =20
written and makes oracle look much better then MS-SQL  Server. It =20
actually reveals the ugly truth: Oracle and SQL Server do not play in =20
the same league. You cannot compare little league teams to the Yanks =20
(if someone mentions things like the curse and some garments from NE, =20
I'll get seriously angry).

--=20
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA