Lazy dbms_job

I am running following procedure ( Oracle 9i ):=20

dbms_job.submit( l_job, 'background_submit_proc( JOB, NEXT_DATE);' );

create or replace
    procedure background_submit_proc( p_job in number, p_NEXT_DATE OUT DATE=
  )
    as
    begin
               uui(); -- these are procedures that are executed;
               uui1();=20
               uui2();

=09p_next_date :=3D sysdate + 1/24/60/60*1;

    exception when others then raise;
end;
/

Whole thing runs fine. It modifies NEXT_DATE so it reschedules itself
as soon as
3 procedures are finished. Procedures are very fast ( takes less than
a second to execute them ). So job's NEXT_DATE should be incremented
almost every second.
It is not. It is incremented every 15 seconds.=20
Is there a way to make it more responsive ? I want it to execute every seco=
nd .=20

Regards, Ranko.