Re: Larry's keynote at OOW 08

  • From: mkb <mkb125@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 07:27:27 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----

One statement caught my eye:
"Ellison said the system
passes query results between the storage and the server - rather than
the full disk blocks"

It seems that the storage know about the internal structure of oracle
and do the query on the table and return the result set, lets say for
each table, and then Oracle just do the set combination to give the
resulting set to the user.
This splits the work between the two components and allow for speed
boost.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Seems like a hybrid between a shared nothing and shared disk architecture to
me.  Some of the intelligence is now in the storage layer.

I wonder how this compares to a shared nothing approach?  It would seem to me
that this approach would be a little more flexible than a pure shared nothing
since I assume you can add storage and the RDBMS engine as needed without much
reconfiguration.

--
mohammed