RE: Large block sizes for OLAP database

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "stmontgo@xxxxxxxxx" <stmontgo@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 15:04:12 -0500

With OLAP, there may be an argument for larger block sizes, however, whatever
size you choose, that should be the only size in your database.  Oracle only
introduced multiple block sizes to support transportable tablespaces between
databases w/ differing blocksizes.

I won't go into a lot of detail, as this has been done to death many, many
times on Oracle-L and in the Oracle forums, and probably many other venues as
well.  Try googling, I imagine you'll get *lots* of hits.

Hope that helps,

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies
789 E. Eisenhower, Parkway, P.O. Box 1346
Ann Arbor MI 48106-1346
+1.734.997.4059  or +1.800.521.0600 x 4059

ProQuest...Start here.