RE: LGWR tuning

  • From: "Luca Canali" <Luca.Canali@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:01:33 +0100

Hi Paul,

The parameter you are looking for is probably _log_io_size (see
http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/tuning/log_buffer_size.htm), but I doubt it
can help you. One of the reasons is that IO is fragmented also at the OS
(solaris >=8 default to 1 MB if I am not wrong) and HW (storage array)
level.
Tuning to reduce the redo log volume or changing the physical device
where you write the redo logs (like avoid raid5, avoid Read/Write
contention, ..the usual stuff) is normally the way to go for this kind
of issues.
You can also recreate the redo logs in /tmp (ram disk), but that's a bit
'dangerous' and also kind of cheating.

Regards,
L.
Luca Canali
Information Technology Department
European Organization for Nuclear Research
CERN
CH-1211 Geneva 23