Re: Kinda of a dumb question

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 08:04:44 -0500

Dick,

A development team should have a set of scripts that are used to create the
schema. They need to modify these scripts to accommodate the change from one
schema to two. Then your job becomes manageable. If they have misplaced or
haven't maintained their scripts, point out that you can move the tables,
but for the other objects you aren't a magician (assuming you haven't
portrayed yourself as such).

I don't think the important issue is how to help the developers out at the
moment on what I assume is a test database, but later when you are going to
roll this out in production. The great thing about working from scripts is
then you can execute the same scripts in production. If they don't have
scripts now, there are several tools like Toad that can generate scripts.
Depending on your version of Oracle, there are features for that.

Dennis Williams

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx