RE: Java vs. Perl ... vs. Python

  • From: "Orr, Steve" <sorr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 12:46:56 -0700

Wow... I'm just getting back to this list after a long hiatus (doing
boring stuff like work) and I see this latest post near and dear to my
heart.=20

I'm doing a Quick Tip (Q9) at IOUW titled, "Python, Oracle and the
Meaning of Life." From my laptop (it's old and decrepit with a mere
256MB of RAM running at 850Mhz) I'll be running a full fledged web
server which I developed entirely in Python. My web server leverages on
the low level socket programming and HTTP libraries that come with
Python. I'll of course access the O9i database on my laptop and I'll
show a proof of concept DBA webapp called HYDRA which includes pretty
YAPP graphs (real time using RRDTool) to show to damagement.=20

I'll also talk about how we manage almost everything with Python
including: distributing and configuring our software; configuring and
restarting our Apache web servers; maintaining our virtual hosts and DNS
tables; managing the databases including end user upgrades, schema and
tablespace creation, and backing up and moving data. (Scary huh? We're
one of the top 25 ASP's but I won't get into any marketing hype.)=20

Oh, yeah, and if there's time after talking about Python and Oracle we
may get into the meaning of life, but this type of discussion is usually
most productive with beer after the show. ;-)

Steve Orr
Bozeman, Montana