Java stored procedures suddenly slow

  • From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:21:07 -0600

I had a puzzling issue pop up this morning.  The first time a session
executes a java stored procedure, it takes an extremely long time to return.
Every execution thereafter, within the same session, would return very
quickly.  For example, I executed a procedure to zip a 1 MB text file, and
it took 84.6 seconds.  I ran it again and it only took 0.14 seconds.

I can accept that something might take a little longer the first time it's
executed, but I've never seen it perform this poorly.  A trace shows that
all of the time is spent executing.  So far Google hasn't been much help.
Any ideas?

Windows Server 2003
Oracle Standard Edition
JAccelerator is installed.