From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Laimutis Nedzinskas
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 4:44 PM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: JAVA Developer

data modeller is aware of applicaton logic. At least in all Case or not Case
methods I know.

Anyway - if Java developer is going to make a data model then I would not bet
on the project success. Unless it is 2 tables schema.

if this is the dreaded case that java developer is going to model data then ask
him/her about data normalization.

Then ask him about role entities or tables or classes, whatever (the other term
is "party" patern)

If he fails then he is not a decent data modeler, period.

See the discussion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_modeling:

The entities represented by a data model can be the tangible entities, but
models that include such concrete entity classes tend to change over time.
Robust data models often identify abstractions
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstraction>  of such entities. For example, a
data model might include an entity class called "Person", representing all the
people who interact with an organization. Such an abstract entity class is
typically more appropriate than ones called "Vendor" or "Employee", which
identify specific roles played by those people.

if he gets that far then primary, unique key and referential constraints are
"must know and love"

Finaly if he knows how to design security then not that bad, not that bad.