J. Gennick's SQL Developer write up in Oracle Mag.

  • From: "Norman Dunbar" <norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:57:00 +0100

Hi Jonathan, I think you missed a couple of bits out of your article
about the DBA with 15 minutes to get through the todo list :

<BEGIN HUMOUR>

It's 11:45 and you need to be done by 12:00, so ...

... Startup SQL Developer on a PC with 256 MB RAM and a 2.6 Mhz PC.
Word and Email client are already running as is Firefox and IE5.5, the
help desk system and so on.

... Wait for splash screen to load - it's now 11:47.

... It finally starts, hooray, it's 11:48 now.

... Need to create a new database connection, so try to pick one from
the drop down - oops, Oracle Names is not supported, have to go manual.

... open a DOS box, it's now 11:49

... tnsping the alias, need to write down host, port and
SID/Service_name - can't find a pen, have to hunt the office to find
one. Now it's 11:52.

... Write down host, sid and port.

... Create database connection using above data. Press TEST - get
error., something Java-ish, it's 11:54.

... Try again, same result. Login to Metalink. It's now 12:11.

... Aha, advanced search turns up "connections to databases less than
9.2.0.1 are not supported". It's 12:12 now.

... As the database is 8.1.7.4, shut down SQL Developer. Try Raptor
(the beta version) instead.

... It's 12:15 and still looking at the splash screen.

... At 12:16, kill Raptor. Fire up TOAD.

... At 12:20, job done, go for lunch, wife only slightly annoyed :o)

<GD&R>

<END HUMOUR>

The above is slightly humorous, but reasonably accurate. It's a pain
that databases below 9201 are not supported even though Raptor did allow
connections to be made. In addition, not allowing Oracle Names type
connections to be made is a major flaw (IMHO) especially as Name is
still supported until Oracle 10 anyway.  The splash screen hangs around
far too long on a limited RAM 'busy' machine.

Hope you don't mind the parody :o)

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar.
Contract Oracle DBA.
Rivers House, Leeds.

Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.

We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under
the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email
messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may
also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business
purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms
and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more
about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk