RE: Is there a transaction number?

the SCN number is maintained for serialization purposes, consisting of an SCN
base and an SCN wrap, assigned at transaction commit time. these SCN numbers are
kept in the data block headers, and are crucial for correct database recovery.

if you need undo related to transactions, you need a transaction identifier,
consisting of three components:
undo segment number, transaction table slot, and wrap number. these values can
be found in the ITL entries of data blocks. however, this information is
overwritten as soon as ITL entries in data blocks are reused; also, transaction
table entries are reused all the time.

why would Oracle keep track of transactions, once they are committed?
(apart from read consistency purposes, of course)

kind regards,

Lex.

Steve Adams Seminar  <http://www.naturaljoin.nl/events/seminars.html>
http://www.naturaljoin.nl/events/seminars.html