RE: Is my Oracle Server issuing more IO than it can handle

  • From: "Amaral, Rui" <Rui.Amaral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracledbawannabe@xxxxxxxxx'" <oracledbawannabe@xxxxxxxxx>, Harel Safra <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 14:32:00 -0500

you said moved to a different storage so a couple of questions come to mind on
this:

1) ask your storage guys how the 2 differ in configuration, ie., RAID types, FC
configuration, I/O port sharing ( different db systems sharing the same port
can be a problem)

2) from the OS how the filesystem is configured. Misaligned block sizes between
the array and the os filesystem can slow things down (think of it in terms of
chained rows and you'll get close to the idea). This applies equally to ASM and
regular filesystems

3) and of course if they can tell if the luns are on the outside of the
physical disks or not.

in terms of calculating IOPS use Orion or Bonnie for pure OS throughput and
then go from there. Just some thoughts

Rui Amaral
Database Administrator
ITS - SSG