Is listener working for every database

All oracle versions, solaris 9,10.  No ASM instance, so one
listener/oracle_home.

Back in the day, we had a couple scripts set up that would cycle through the
databases and log in to an account using Sqlplus.   This would tell us that the
database was up and the listener was up and working as well.   If not, then we
would be notified.

Today, there is EM to name one method, but I may have a short term requirement
to manually check again, and perhaps this time without using a password that is
plain text in any file including the script.   The script would be executed
from cron by oracle user.

Instead of creating an oracle account with only create session privilege on
every database:

I can cycle through the databases and log in as sys / as sysdba, and see that
the database is up without using a password.  I can also cycle through the
listeners using lsnrctl and I suppose check the status or something,   OR grep
for a ps for the tnslsnr listener name - thus trying to circumvent the password
issue.

But does that tell me the same thing as actually logging into each database
using the listener?   Discarding the idea that a database service name could
have been 'left out' of the listener.ora file - because these are production
databases and that is not likely, is there a better idea?

Just checking for feedback.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546