Re: Is it possible to reorganize tables for logical standby while maintain the synchronization?

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 21:06:28 +0200

I agree with Ric that it should be possible. However, there is a
possibility that apply process will go crazy as object_id and
data_object_id will be changed in LSTBY database (as mentioned - test,
test, test). In this case an alternative is to reinstantiate the table
but it will need to pull all the data from primary via db link and
might actually impact your primary db (at least you will need to make
sure you don't hit ORA-1555).

2006/6/28, Ric Van Dyke <ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Yes I believe you can do that.  The SQL Apply used to maintain the logical
standby doesn't require that all the tables be in the same tablespace as the
primary like a physical standby.  I'm not sure how the SQL Apply and the
online reorg will play together however.  It's very likely that all this
activity on the logical standby will cause it to slow do to such a degree
that the apply service will fall way behind.  I think it would be best to
suspend the apply service (ALTER DATABASE STOP LOGICAL STANDBY APPLY), do
the reorg then restart the apply service (ALTER DATABASE START LOGICAL
STANDBY APPLY).  Have them both going at the same time could be interesting.