RE: Is it possible to reorganize tables for logical standby while maintain the synchronization?

  • From: "Ric Van Dyke" <ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wqhhp@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:58:53 -0500

Yes I believe you can do that.  The SQL Apply used to maintain the
logical standby doesn't require that all the tables be in the same
tablespace as the primary like a physical standby.  I'm not sure how the
SQL Apply and the online reorg will play together however.  It's very
likely that all this activity on the logical standby will cause it to
slow do to such a degree that the apply service will fall way behind.  I
think it would be best to suspend the apply service (ALTER DATABASE STOP
LOGICAL STANDBY APPLY), do the reorg then restart the apply service
(ALTER DATABASE START LOGICAL STANDBY APPLY).  Have them both going at
the same time could be interesting.

Read up on the DATABASE GUARD setting.

Be prepared to test this a few times.

Ric Van Dyke

Hotsos Enterprises

Cell 248-705-0624

Hotsos Symposium March 4-8, 2007.  Be there.