Re: Is it possible to add existing datafiles to an oracle database?

  • From: "Jost," Jörg <Joerg.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:38:17 +0200

Am Freitag, den 25.04.2008, 19:01 +0530 schrieb Srinivas Chintamani:
> Hi,
> The crashed database is deleted now and I only have the datafiles of
> the crashed database somewhere on my filesystem.  What I am trying to
> do is to find out if, it is possible to load the data from the
> datafiles of the crashed database into another new database.

Hi,

if you have _all_ datafiles, it is no problem to create a new database
out of this files. But if this files are not consistent, youre in
trouble.

It the are consistent, you can create new controlfiles and open the new
Database with the Datefiles after a alter database open resetlogs

> Earlier when working with SQL Server, it was simple to backup /
> restore the db.  Just take a backup, dump the backup file anywhere on
> the filesystem and point to SQL Server, where the backup file is at
> and it happily recovered the db, all in a few seconds.
>
> Wonder why restoring an oracle db is such a pain ...

It is no problem to restore a oracle database, if one knows what to
do ;-) No offense, it is the same as everywhere i think.

As often you have to report more details to get good help.

by

Jörg