Re: Is it possible to add existing datafiles to an oracle database?

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: srinivas.chintamani@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:07:34 +0800

"Just take a backup, ...."
Even in Oracle it is very easy .  You need to know which files to backup.
However, I believe that you had posted this on forums.oracle.com as well.
You had a datafile where the filesize in the header doesn't match the size on
the filesystem -- possibly an instance abort / server failure while the file was
being resized.

At 09:31 PM Friday, Srinivas Chintamani wrote:
Hi,
The crashed database is deleted now and I only have the datafiles of the crashed database somewhere on my filesystem. What I am trying to do is to find out if, it is possible to load the data from the datafiles of the crashed database into another new database.

Earlier when working with SQL Server, it was simple to backup / restore the db. Just take a backup, dump the backup file anywhere on the filesystem and point to SQL Server, where the backup file is at and it happily recovered the db, all in a few seconds.

Wonder why restoring an oracle db is such a pain ...

Regards,
Srinivas.

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble." Mohandas Gandhi Quotes : http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html