Re: Is it just me

  • From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:19:22 +0300

The problem with flashback is of course that you can't nor shouldn't go back
in time too much using it.
Imagine that even if you had 6 months worth of undo space, then when you'd
want to flash back a very frequently modified block, all the undo blocks in
given data block undo chain from present to requested point of time would
have to be applied.

This means lots of CPU + possibly many physical IOs for reading each of the
old undo blocks in, just to get the old value of single row.. Also there is
no possibility whatsoever to index a rollback segment (which, again, you
might not want to do either, in order to keep the auditing overhead low)

Nuno: You're welcome, but be sure to check logminers restrictions first
(which I'm sure you do anyway ;)

Tanel.